Many people become anxious when they have a dental appointment. Sometimes it’s the sights and sounds of a dentist’s office that are frightening. Other times it could be a distant childhood memory of a fearful dental visit. For people who avoid the dentist out of anxiety, Denison Dentistry offers a soothing, calm environment that is designed to help you complete your dental work anxiety free. For those patients that need extra help, sedation dentistry lets you relax as the dentist completes the work you need.
Dr. Denison provides sedation dentistry in the form of nitrous oxide. It is not intended to put a patient to sleep; rather, it will calm your nervous response to dental work and allow you to relax. You are still able to respond to requests or directions from Dr. Denison.
How does nitrous oxide work?
Patients first inhale 100% oxygen through a soft nosepiece or mask. Then, nitrous oxide is slowly mixed in with the oxygen. Nitrous oxide usually starts to work in less than five minutes. Dr. Denison will adjust the mixture of nitrous oxide and oxygen to a level to ensure your comfort.
What are the advantages of nitrous oxide for sedation?
- The depth of sedation can be altered at any time to increase or decrease sedation.
- There is no after effect such as a “hangover”.
- Inhalation sedation is safe with no side effects on your heart and lungs, etc.
- Inhalation sedation is very effective in minimizing gagging.
- It works rapidly as it reaches the brain within 20 seconds. In as little as 2-3 minutes its relaxation and pain killing properties develop.
No one should miss preventive dental care visits due to anxiety. Maintaining your oral health is an important part of your overall health. If you’re in need of a calm, anxiety-free dental experience, contact Denison Dentistry for an appointment. We are happy to help!